Monday, September 5, 2011

Tie Dye Cupcakes ... yes I know its late!

I said I would post pictures of how I made the tie-dyed cupcakes when I posted about Lacee's shower but I got busy doing a lot of other things.  Nisee has been napping today so I am here to post.  I got the idea from a mini cookbook that I got in line at the grocery store.  And I also found a post about a lady who tried it which made me want to try it even more. See that post here.

Cupcake Cookbook!  Lots of great ideas but you can also find them at bettycrocker.com for the most part!
To start with you use a basic white cake mix and mix it as the instruction say.  Then separate it into how every many colors you want to use.  I used 5 this time. I did my best to measure them exactly the same but I still had some that had a little more than other colors.  Then you tint it the colors you want. 

Tinting the batter





My batter colors



Then you spoon it one teaspoon at a time into the cups until your run out of batter.  Make sure you don't use too much as you spoon because you don't want to run out of a color before you get to all of your cupcakes!  It is hard to measure exactly one teaspoon so I just did my best to a similar amount unto each cupcake paper.  A lesson I did learn is that I will use smaller spoon fulls next time so that I can have more different colors throughout the cupcakes.



Added the blue and green ... still have 3 colors to go


Then you just bake the cupcakes like the instructions say.  I would also say use light color cupcake liners so you can really see the colors through the paper!  Now the recipe says to tie dye the icing too but I think that can take away from the cupcakes and that should really be the focal point.  So I decided to stick with white butter cream.  Now I normally make my traditional wedding cake butter cream icing that I have made since I was probably 6 or 7.  You know old enough to know my measurements and to run a mixer!   But I ran across another recipe for American butter cream that I wanted to try so that is what I used and it was really good!  See that recipe here.  Last I topped the cupcakes with some rainbow sprinkles for just a little extra.  I got a lot of complements on them.  Not as many as the pink champagne cupcakes but they were a big hit and the kids really liked them!

They look pretty when they are done

a little pink got in there but as you can see I got a little too much yellow in this one...


the final product

They were yummy as well as very pretty!

No comments:

Post a Comment